Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Be Nice....You just never know.

You know, I hate when people exploit the death of someone for their own gain. I have seen that way too many times, and it sickens me. Having said that, I was hesitant about writing this. I would hate for anyone to think that about me, because, quite frankly, that ain’t me.

This is the note I read today that informed me of Shelby’s passing:

PLEASE PRAY FOR SHELBY GRANT HARRIS FAMILY SHE PASSED THIS MORNING 11-15-09 AT 1:30 am OF A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK SHE WAS A LOVING AND CARING PERSON THAT NEVER HELD ANYTHIG AGAINST PEOPLE THAT HURT HER IN THE PAST. SHE HAS TWO SMALL CHILDERN AND A WONDERFUL HUSBAND THAT LOVED HER VERY MUCH. SHE IS NOW DANCING WITH GOD AS HER COUSIN KRISTY SAID. I WILL POST THE FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS WHEN I FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE.

Make no mistake about it. We were not close. I had not seen her in almost 20 years but she was always a friend. Thanks to FB, we reconnected and chatted from time to time during the past year. She was a very sweet person.

Last week, she posted this as her status: We've all seen it. I usually fail to reply but not this time.

Shelby Grant Harris How did we meet? Everyone play the game. Copy & paste this phrase on your profile, you will find it amusing to see how you met & know each of your friends!!! Before you do that, please express yourself below. PLEASE PARTICIPATE! THIS SHOULD BE HILARIOUS
November 6 at 5:09pm

Jody Fuller
7th grade....1st period...Mrs. Harrison's science class.
November 6 at 5:15pm

Shelby Grant Harris
oh god, and you were my lab partner, you made the earthworm dance that we were supposed to be disecting! It was never a dull moment , Thank you Jody you were always nice to me. Alot of people were too wrapped up in themselves to even give me a chance. I was a fat kid, didn't have a contagious disease , I was just fat! Some times a kind word can mean alot to a person.
November 6 at 5:33pm

And.....9 days later, she went Home to be with the Lord.

This note is not about me, and, with all due respect, it’s not about Shelby. It’s about us, as people. It’s about being civil, kind, and courteous to one another. It’s just too darn easy. Besides, remember Dalton’s third simple rule in “Road House?” It was simply "Be Nice."

Never pass up an opportunity to extend a kind word or to perform a good deed for someone...you never know what it might mean to that person.

No comments: